The following awards were made for bravery and resource in HMAS HOBART when the destroyer was struck by American aircraft missiles off Vietnam:
- DSM for ME G. H. Sculley
- MID for CAPT K. W. Shands
- MID for LCDR I. A. Callaway
The titles of all RAN Fleet units became fully Australian:
- Guided missile destroyers became the First Australian Destroyer Squadron
- Daring class destroyers the Second Australian Destroyer Squadron
- River class destroyer escorts the Third Australian Destroyer Squadron
- The Fourth Submarine Squadron became the First Australian Submarine Squadron
- The Sixteenth Mine Counter Measures Squadron became the First Australian Mine Counter Measures Squadron.
The RAN adopted the numbering practice used by the US, Canadian and Pakistan Navies, removing the pennant number letter prefix from its ships’ hulls.