The cruiser HMAS SHROPSHIRE, (CAPT J. A. Collins, CB, RAN), was commissioned. SHROPSHIRE was laid down in Wm Beardmore & Co Ltd, Dalmuir, Scotland, on 24 February 1926, and launched on 5 July 1928. The cruiser had been presented to Australia by the British Admiralty as a replacement for HMAS CANBERRA, which had been lost at the Battle of Savo Island, on 9 August 1942. As the cost of the cruiser had been partly paid for by subscription by the people of the County of Shropshire, England, the name was retained by the RAN.
HMAS Westralia completed conversion to a Landing Ship (Infantry) after conversion in Sydney from February to June 1943.